Welcome to Sydenham / Hillside
Sydenham & Hillside are both located 23 km north west of Melbourne along the Keilor Melton Road. The suburb of Hillside was created only recently and is still a developing area. Bordering Taylors Lakes and the Watergardens Town Centre the Sydenham railway station was opened in 1859. The station was relocated to Watergardens in 2002 when the electric rail service was extended to the suburb. Local restaurants including Sugar Gum Hotel and a number of supermarkets and convenience stores service the area.
Hillside is made up of estates including Cypress Rise, Banchory Grove, Parkwood Green, Bellevue Hill, Sugargum Estate, Hillside 2000 and Regency Rise. A large water tower (known as "The Golf Ball" by locals) is in the estate of The Bellevue, and is visible from several kilometres away. The large radio transmission towers in nearby Delahey, is another major landmark of the outer north west suburban area.
The streets of Hillside are lined with trees, which were planted during the farming days of Hillside. The terrain has a slight slope going up the main street.
Schools in the area include Catholic Regional College Sydenham, a coeducational Catholic senior high school that shares some of its grounds with Emmaus Catholic Primary School, Sydenham-Hillside Primary School that is one of the country's largest government primary schools and the Sydenham Campus of Copperfield College.
Sporting teams in the area include the Hillside Football Club and Sydenham Park Soccer. Calder Park Raceway is located just to the north of Sydenham.